Under the direction of the Information Technology Officer, the Geographic Information System Analyst documents, coordinates, plans, installs, implements, tests, and maintains databases and applications related to the Department’s Geographic Information System. The incumbent performs spatial analysis, data entry, object manipulation, integration from other platforms and applications, and output production of digital printed maps and mobile map services used in all fire apparatus.
This classification is a Fair Labor Standards Act exempt, unrepresented position in the Classified Service.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Appointment for the GIS Analyst is generally made at the first step of the range. Retirement benefits will conform to the California Public Employees Retirement System. Currently, classic miscellaneous employees pay 8% contribution, which is tax-deferred. Public Employee Pension Retirement Act (PEPRA) employees will pay 6.5% of employee contribution, which is tax-deferred.
Current benefits include: Department paid medical and dental premiums; paid life insurance of $50,000; vision plan; education reimbursement plan; direct deposit plan; personal leave; sick leave; vacation; 13 holidays per year; 9/80 Alternate Work Schedule upon request; voluntary deferred compensation plan; and credit union service.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Please refer to the GIS Analyst job specification located at www.sccfd.org for more information.
Depending upon assignment, duties may include but are not limited to the following:
• Use of complex drafting and drawing applications to implement and maintain a comprehensive geographic information system, which includes updating the base map layers and additional data layers.
• Develop GIS software tools to allow routine tasks to be completed more efficiently using macros and other computer languages.
• Provide consultation and technical support on map feature detail, installation of map files to the mobile data tablets, and assist with development of cartographic products for fire operations and administration.
• Interact with other agencies to obtain and share data, and to ensure the data and software meets Department needs and standards.
• Implement updates of new streets, business complexes, multi-unit housing, and other data from multiple sources in a timely manner.
• Assemble, organize, and digitize information into the appropriate GIS database by using multiple software applications and platforms.
• Develop documentation for all work performed including quality control procedures.
• Diagnose software and hardware problems and resolve problems where possible, or work with a vendor to make corrections as necessary.
• Instruct Department personnel and dispatchers in the use of GIS software and databases.
• Develop and provide standard reports on a regular basis.
• Prepare and coordinate GIS consultant contracts including the monitoring of contract work to ensure technical accuracy and compliance with contract agreements.
• Prepare a variety of correspondence, documentation, and other written materials; update procedural manuals as assigned.
• Prepare the layout and design of a variety of maps and graphics for presentation relating to historical call activity, flood inundation, wildland interface responses, station coverage, etc.
• Perform database data entry on a regular basis.
• Evaluate alternatives and make recommendations as it pertains to GIS innovations.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience: A bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, geography, environmental studies, or a field related to the work and three (3) years of full time experience in geographic
EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS Education/Experience - continued
information systems and database management, cartography, mechanical drawing, civil engineering, drafting, or related field.
An associate's degree in computer science, information systems, geography, environmental studies, or a field related to the work and five (5) years of full time experience in geographic information systems and database management, cartography, mechanical drawing, civil engineering, drafting, or related field.
Knowledge and Abilities
Knowledge of GIS concepts and analytical techniques including computerized mapping and digital data conversion, manipulation, and analysis. • Principles and practices of project management, records management, and data collection techniques.• Database administration principles, methods, and techniques. • ArcGIS for Desktop, ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Extensions, AutoCAD and SQL Server. • Programming languages including .NET, Python, or geoprocessing scripts. • Mathematical, statistical and analytical procedures commonly supported by system applications. • Spatial projection techniques and standards. • Principles and procedures of quality assurance and security related to computer information systems. • Basic Global Positioning Systems (GPS) concepts and procedures. • Working knowledge of Apple workstation hardware and the iOS platform.
Ability to integrate various spatial and non-spatial data into GIS databases from multiple sources. • Explain technical concepts to non-technical users. • Use computer-aided drafting and GIS software to produce digital maps, hardcopy maps, databases, and other documentation as requested. • Perform various GIS database administrative functions including developing standards and methodologies for use of the GIS database. • Estimate time and cost requirements for specific assignments. • Install, troubleshoot, and upgrade GIS software. • Prepare clear and concise work documentation; update procedures and technical reports. • Prepare various graphic maps, diagrams, exhibits, and displays for presentation purposes. • Make recommendations as necessary to improve product efficiency.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
Work is performed both in an office setting and in the field. Prolonged use and exposure to computer screens, maps, charts, spreadsheets and reports. Exposure to noise and dust. Work may involve physical exertion including stooping, reaching, lifting, crawling, and climbing. Manual dexterity; clear, understandable speech; and visual and hearing acuity are also required.
Possession of a valid, appropriate state of California driver’s license.
The candidate will be required to complete and pass a background check, Live Scan fingerprint, medical examination, and psychological evaluation.
THE APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
Applicant must complete and sign a Department application and include a résumé. The application can be submitted to Personnel Services via mail, as attachments in an email, or hand-delivered. Please note, the application must have your signature or a certified digital signature. If you choose to hand-sign the application, you may scan your document after signing it and attach the document to an email. Email submissions shall be sent to email@example.com. The email’s subject line must state “GIS Analyst Recruitment.” If application is mailed, please mail to Santa Clara County Fire Department, Attention: Personnel Services, 14700 Winchester Boulevard, Los Gatos, CA 95032. The Department application can be downloaded from the Department’s website at www.sccfd.org.
Submission deadline: 5:00 p.m. on Monday, February 16, 2015. If submitting by mail, it must be received by no later than 5:00 p.m. on Monday, February 16, 2015. If submitting by email, it must be time stamped by the email system no later than the deadline. Faxed or late submissions will not be accepted.
Based upon review of applications submitted, the most qualified candidates will be invited to participate in the selection process, which may consist of a written exercise and/or supplemental questionnaire and an oral interview.
For additional information regarding the position of GIS Analyst or the application and selection process outlined herein, please contact Debbie Kelleher at (408) 341-4460.
The information contained within this announcement may be modified or revoked without notice
and does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.
The Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer.