Based in San Francisco, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation
(NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States.
And we deliver some of the nation’s cleanest energy to our customers in Northern and Central
California. For PG&E, “Together, Building a Better California” is not just a slogan. It’s the very core
of our mission and the scale by which we measure our success. We know that the nearly 16
million people who do business with our company count on our more than 24,000 employees for
far more than the delivery of utility services. They, along with every citizen of the state we call
home, also expect PG&E to help improve their quality of life, the economic vitality of their
communities, and the prospect for a better future fueled by clean, safe, reliable and affordable
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity
employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age,
religion, physical or mental disability status, medical condition, protected veteran status, marital
status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic
information or any other factor that is not related to the job.
Gas Operations is undergoing a transformation in our Gas Distribution and Transmission Mapping
Organization in how PG&E creates, maintains, and records our Geo-Spatial data on our Gas
Distribution and Transmission Pipeline. We are implementing new tools and processes that will be
on the cutting edge for the utility industry and we are looking for qualified candidates who possess
the drive and ability to help us make PG&E into the safest and most reliable utility in the industry.
Gas Operations is focused on ensuring the safe and reliable flow of natural gas to our customers.
As a whole, Gas Operations is responsible for all aspects of PG&E's gas distribution and
transmission operations, including planning, engineering, maintenance and construction,
restoration and emergency response.
This position is represented by Engineers and Scientists of California (ESC) and is subject to
Under the direction of a Principal or Lead Mapper, you will work with Gas Distribution and
Transmission as-built drawings and other mapping data to post spatial database updates in
PG&E’s Geographic Information System (GIS#. The Mapping Technician maintains, updates, and
analyzes pipeline features within the database. The technician also updates and maintains
operating maps and diagrams of the gas distribution and transmission systems, single-line job
drawings and keeps maps and databases of gas distribution and transmission system up to date.
Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must possess a High School diploma, GED or equivalent work experience
• Two year technical certificate in Drafting, GIS or equivalent experience
• Must possess a valid California Driver’s License on day 1 of employment
• Must be able to wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment #PPE#
• Ability to drive safely in all weather and road conditions
• Ability to work flexible schedules, extended hours, nights, weekends, and/or overtime #scheduled
or ad hoc#
• Internal PG&E employees: Must have qualified on the Physical Test Battery #PTB) exam, Work
Orientation Inventory (WOI) exam and Technical Test (TECH Test) exam prior to applying
• External and Hiring Hall candidates: Must qualify on the Physical Test Battery (PTB) exam, Work
Orientation Inventory (WOI#, and Technical Test #TECH Test) exam prior to interviewing
• BA/BS Degree from accredited college in GIS, Geography, Engineering, or other related
discipline. BA/BS in unrelated field with a GIS certificate is acceptable.
• Demonstrated experience using ESRI ArcGIS 10x to develop, edit, and maintain spatial data
from engineering as-built drawings.
• Experience with using Microstation to update and maintain maps and diagrams for
engineering or construction related projects.
• Understanding of geographic data types (land base, imagery, gas utility infrastructure, etc.#
• Ability to perform basic queries #spatial and non-spatial)
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office products- Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, and
• Demonstrated experience or exposure using SAP
• 1+ year of Gas or Utility operations related experience.
• Create, modify and update records, maps and diagrams using GIS tools and databases.
• Ensure records maps and diagrams comply with federal, state and local regulations and
• Input data related to specific job-site and facility information for quality assurance purposes,
historical tracking, forecasting and produce reports related to job-site data using computers and
• Review and research work assignments and projects using computers, various internal
applications and websites to review.
• Gather data related to records, maps and diagrams for specific job site projects.
• Schedule and coordinate document distribution to meet applicable federal, state and local
regulations and company requirements.
• Research and prioritize documents for data input.
• Use computer and other methods and tools for file management of job plans, records, maps,
diagrams and other documents