||GreenInfo Network is an innovative nonprofit technology consultant specializing in mapping and related information, with a strong national reputation earned over 18 years of service to hundreds of nonprofits and public agencies. We offer an exciting, creative, and friendly environment where you can use your talent to make real difference in the world, while also advancing your career. Our staff of 10 works on 20-30 projects at a time, using a range of tools that include GIS, modeling, web applications, and communication products.
Our wide range of projects (mostly in the U.S.) includes: conservation and environmental mapping, demographic assessments, social justice analysis, online map applications, database development, and more. GreenInfo web mapping products are known for elegant design and cartography and intuitive user interfaces, all developed within nonprofit budgets. Visit greeninfo.org to learn more about us, and browse examples of our interactive projects.
We are looking for a Web Developer with a passion for programming and using open source tools to create interactive maps and complex data visualization. Your key responsibility will be to implement designs of websites and web mapping applications.
We want you to have the ability to create modern web applications with visual clarity and usability, while distilling and integrating complex data sets. You’ll work alongside our existing staff members who provide robust development of the website content, structure, and functionality. You’ll work with our project leads and our programming staff to plan and implement polished websites, and your skills will help us anticipate the needs of end users early in the design process.
- Experience with web application development using PHP frameworks
Experience with PostgreSQL/PostGIS databases
- Knowledge of how to resolve browser differences
In addition, the ideal candidate will have experience with some of the following:
- Experience with map services including WMS and TMS, TileCache and TileStache
- Data manipulation with GIS tools, including ArcGIS, QGIS, GDAL/OGR
- Data visualization for large data sets
- Experience in user interface design
- Familiarity with modern mapping tools such as MapBox Studio, CartoDB, D3, turf.js
- Creative problem solving in a team environment
- Effective communication skills, particularly in explaining to clients options and strategies for undertaking projects
- Experience working on multiple projects with differing deadlines, ideally in a client services setting
- Highly organized and able to work efficiently, both independently and as a part of a team
- Ability to define and track budgets, and ability to ensure timely project completion
COMPENSATION: GreenInfo offers a competitive nonprofit compensation package. Our benefits package include fully-paid health, dental, and vision benefits, sick leave, and generous vacation. Our flexible work environment supports learning and collaboration.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Our San Francisco office is right at a major transit hub (BART/MUNI), and within easy walking distance of most of the Downtown and South of Market areas. The office is an attractive, spacious and well-lit space, filled with friendly and very skilled colleagues. Projects are highly varied and all serve groups working to further the public interest.
TO APPLY: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us why you’d like to join our team - include links to representative web projects, and a standard resume (Word or PDF format). Use the following format for the email subject line: [First Name, Last Name] Web Developer. Example: Jane Black Web Developer. If you are selected for further consideration, we’ll ask you for professional references and possibly further work samples. No phone inquiries please.
GreenInfo Network encourages persons of color and applicants of diverse backgrounds to apply.