||About the Position
The Natural Resource GIS Analyst/Programmer will provide technical and analytical support for developing and streamlining workflows to prepare and process spatially-explicit datasets for National Forest plan revision. This project shall require programming in multiple languages including Python, and R. The project shall also require advanced knowledge of the following software packages applications: ArcGIS 10, Access, and Excel. The Natural Resource GIS Analyst/Programmer will perform the following tasks:
• Python programming to compile datasets for plan revision.
• Automation, using python, of multi-scale (i.e. ecoregion subsection, forest and bioregional scale) analysis of bioclimatic, vegetation, wildlife and other natural resource data. In addition, multi-scale summarization of socio-economic data shall also be required.
• The development of raster surfaces and lists from supplemental data shall be required to produce inputs for modeling ecosystem dynamics, disturbance regimes and other vegetation analytics.
• Develop cartographic products and perform live on-screen presentations to show FS personnel and the public how data sets were created, how to interpret the resultant outputs and present preliminary summary statistics.
• Oral and written communication with FS staff regarding how datasets were generated or what underlying assumptions are implicit in hypothesis tests.
• If required, create a knowledge transfer plan to coordinate ongoing work with government employees or other designated parties. This includes identifying and documenting:
o Project management processes
o Points of contact
o Location of technical and project management documentation
o Status of ongoing technical initiatives
o Key personnel
o Identify pending actions required of the Government
o Establish status meetings for effective communication with the appropriate Contractor/Government personnel for the period of transition
To excel in the Natural Resource GIS Analyst/Programmer position, you should possess the following skills, experience, and background:
• Solid programming skills in, at minimum, Python and R
• Proficient in GIS Analysis and Modeling using ArcGIS 10
• Proficient with MS Access and Excel
• Proven experience developing and streamlining workflows
• Experience processing both raster and vector data
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Experience developing presentations that communicate analytical processes and results
• Experience presenting project/research results to a live audience, in person or online
• Experience developing cartographic products using ArcGIS 10
• Excellent organizational skills
• Experience writing technical reports
• Coursework in natural resource management
• Work-related experience pertaining to natural resource management
• Analytical techniques for modeling and assessing dynamic ecological communities.
• Knowledge and ability to work within the ArcGIS online environment.
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s degree in Forestry, Ecology, Wildlife Biology, Soils, Geology, Hydrology, Geography or Earth Science. Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in GIS is highly desired.
Experience Requirement: Five years of intensive and progressive experience in a field requiring extensive use of GIS and related tools.
Alternate Requirements: Fifteen years of intensive and progressive experience in a field requiring extensive use of GIS and related tools accompanied by a High School degree or equivalent.
Location: Work will be performed on-site at the USDA Forest Service Region 5 Regional Office in Vallejo California. Travel to other government locations may be involved
Mason, Bruce & Girard, Inc. is a full-service natural resource consulting firm, with expertise in environmental services, forestry and geographic information systems (GIS). A set of core values guide our work, focusing our efforts on providing responsible, sustainable solutions that meet client needs.
Our areas of expertise include forestry, wildlife, fisheries, wetlands, water quality, and GIS. Our work is characterized by the highest level of client service, the application of the best science and technology, quality processes and results, integrity, and our respect for the natural environment. We provide natural resource consulting services to both industry and government, and have done so since 1921.
Join Us/Apply Now
Click here http://www.masonbruce.com/careers/join-our-team/ or visit the Careers section of our website to send us your resume.
Mason, Bruce & Girard is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and we do not discriminate against employees or job applicants on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status or consideration protected by local, state and federal laws, except where a bona fide occupational qualification applies. Equal opportunity applies to hiring, promotion, training, compensation, and any other organizational action. MB&G’s written Affirmative Action Plan is available to all employees and job applicants upon request.
MB&G is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.