Under direction of the Assistant City Manager for Administrative Services, the GIS/Land Use Data Administrator leads the City in implementation of all aspects of the City's Geographic Information Systems (GIS) related projects. The Administrator will coordinate with and support all City Departments in the management and oversight of the use of the City's Land Use Data, while developing Citywide systems.
A highly motivated and knowledgeable individual to develop standards for GIS deployment, determining the most appropriate systems to utilize for specific City needs. Leads project teams in producing deliverables related to the projects assigned, and assist in post implementation support and system enhancements.
This position requires strong technical and analytical skills, clear written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail, and professional level programming and analysis duties involving the development, installation, integration, documentation, testing, and maintenance of GIS systems and database applications; to evaluate user requirements and develop technical solutions; and to do other work as required.
Successful performance of work requires the ability to manage projects, information and applications with a team of co-workers and contractors to guarantee that City GIS infrastructure is developed, maintained, and available at the highest possible level.
Examples of Duties:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are performed personally, in cooperation with the Community Development Department, Information Services Division and in coordination with other City staff, operating partners, other public and private organizations, and community groups. Additional duties may be assigned.
Leads the planning and implementation of Geographic Information Systems for City.
• Development and management of GIS project plans including defining requirements, tasks, and resource assignments ensures high level quality in assigned projects.
• Ensuring that Permitting, Planning, and Asset Management systems have the latest technology.
• Creation of professional, current, and accurate maps utilizing merged GIS and project data enhances customer service and efficiency.
• Ongoing analysis of existing systems sustains and increases features and functions available to operating departments.
• Collaborative leadership style with department project team members and consultants ensures current and future business needs are understood, anticipated, and met.
• Concerns and questions from City staff members are anticipated and responded to through timely, professional, straight forward (non-technical) communications that help departments in their decision making processes.
Coordinates with and supports all City Departments to support integrated citywide deployment of GIS.
• Establishing standards for GIS deployment and use within the City, including multi-departmental coordination, supports cost savings and efficiency.
• Identifying innovative uses for GIS throughout the entire City supports organizational improvement and enhances service delivery.
• Successful management of GIS-related teams of City staff and vendors ensure that GIS project objectives and timelines are met.
• Timely implementation of GIS-related projects supports efficiency in day to day City operations.
• Thorough inspections of City GIS deficiencies and the development of efficient and agile operational processes and procedures for the continual improvements needed to meet the current and future generally accepted principles, standards, laws, and regulations required by City and partner business requirements.
• Training City staff members in using basic and advanced GIS increases organizational capacity.
• Providing the Police and Fire Department systems with the most recent and accurate GIS data enhances public safety.
Participates in meeting City goals and outcomes.
• Collaborative leadership style that fosters teamwork, encourages employee input and involvement in decision-making, and continues to enforce the business unit's process and data ownership.
• Innovative approaches to contain expenses are evaluated and implemented to make meeting City goals both efficient and effective.
• Performs other job-related responsibilities as evident or directed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying.
Education & Experience:
1. Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in GIS, Geography, Earth Science, Engineering, Computer Science, or related field; and,
2. Two (2) years GIS experience or working in a similar field with professional-level experience in the design, development, implementation, and administration of geographic information systems, including analysis and database development and integration; and
3. Relevant certification(s) desirable.