The Sanborn Map Company Inc. is looking to fill the position for a Natural Resources Region 5 GIS Analyst/Programmer.
Join Sanborn’s award-winning onsite team! The Natural Resources GIS Analyst/Programmer position requires analytical support for a Spatial and RDBMS Tool developer. Work on this project shall require current expertise and experience with advanced GIS analysis and technology and relational database skills. This position reports to the regional office in Vallejo, CA.
- Bachelor’s degree in Forestry, Ecology, Wildlife Biology, Soils, Geology, Hydrology, Geography or related degree. Master’s degree in GIS from an accredited college or university desired.
- Five years of intensive and progressive experience in a field requiring extensive use of GIS and related tools. Master’s degree fulfills this experience requirement; OR
- Fifteen years of intensive and progressive experience in a field requiring extensive use of GIS and related tools accompanied by a High School degree or equivalent.
In addition to the required experience, it is desirable that any candidate have the following additional skills:
- Working knowledge of USFS GIS data structures, National Application structures, and other agency structures including NHD and LSRS/ALP datasets.
- Working knowledge of Forest Service GIS protocols and procedures.
- Quality Control of National Applications GIS Data and other Corporate Data – This shall require:
- Gathering spatial and tabular data from a large variety of complex National databases; and
- Use of ArcGIS and PL/SQL developer software to create/update/enhance data quality scripts; and
- Following agency policies and procedures for national corporate data, to understand and follow Entity Relationship Diagrams (ERDs) to maintain forest data layers such as wildlife, Botany, Aquatics, Geology, Forest Activities, Transportation and others, into national corporate format.
Forest Library & Product updates - This shall require:
- Use of ArcGIS software skills and use Python to update older technology workflows, as well as create new Python Scripts to automate GIS processes; and
- Use of SDE Workgroup software to make updates to Forest library servers using replication; and
- Use PL/SQL Developer and MS Access software to create and develop custom outputs from National Application data.
Data Management Project Support – This shall require:
- Work with Forest specialists (Silviculture, Invasive species, Planning, Wildlife, Botany and Aquatics etc.) and provide query result reports and recommendations to edit and correct anomalies; and
- Work with National subject matter experts (SMEs), programmers, developers, and end users to resolve problems or create a usable work around solution for regional implementation; and
- Attending meetings and serving as GIS team member for related projects including site visits; and
- Maintain relationships with Forest, district, National USFS personnel and other technical experts as necessary; and
- Work with developers to validate and test new software versions and emergency releases of National Applications; and
- Create, maintain and organize user training in defined areas and the training efforts of others using a variety of delivery mechanisms (hard copy, virtual sessions, and recorded modules using Camtasia software).
Data Management Geodatabase Design Project Support – This shall require:
- Perform ArcGIS geodatabase, Oracle database design, and formatted output reports, tables/display tasks using MS Access assigned by numerous Project Managers; and
- Assess and evaluate Regional Year-End Reporting needs working with Project Manager, submit proposals for process improvements.
Contractor Personnel Security and Suitability Requirements
The following forms and inquiries, or their equivalent, will be used to initiate the credentialing process:
- OPM Standard Form 85 or 85P • OF306 • National Criminal History Check (NCHC)
- Release to Obtain Credit Information • PIV card application (web-based)
If selected to fill the position, a candidate would be required to pass a drug screen and satisfy the requirements of a National Criminal History Check (NCHC) to verify the identity of the individual applying for clearance and to determine the individual’s suitability for the position.
The position requires limited travel. Applicant must be a U.S. citizen or possess a current work visa.
Sanborn offers a comprehensive health and wellness program which includes medical, dental, vision, 401k, holiday, PTO, EAP, disability and life insurance benefits.
TO APPLY: Submit your resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com. Indicate “Natural Resource Region 5 GIS Analyst Programmer” in the subject line of the email. Sanborn is an Equal Opportunity Employer.